Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Henry Scougal "A Prayer" (Part 2)

Good God! what a felicity* is this to which we are called! How graciously hast thou joined our duty and happiness together; and prescribed that for our work, the performance whereof is a great reward! And shall such silly worms be advanced to so great a height? Wilt thou allow us to raise our eyes to thee? Wilt thou admit and accept our affection? Shall we receive the impression of thy divine excellencies by beholding and admiring them, and partake of thy infinite blessedness and glory by loving thee, and rejoicing in them? Oh, the happiness of those souls that have broken the fetters of self-love, and disentangled their affection from every narrow and particular good; whose understandings are enlightened by the Holy Spirit, and their wills enlarged to the extent of thine; who love thee above all things, and all mankind for thy sake! I am persuaded, O God! I am persuaded that I can never be happy, till my carnal and corrupt affections be mortified, and the pride and vanity of my spirit be subdued, and till I come seriously to despise the world and think nothing of myself. But oh, when shall it once be? Oh, when wilt thou come unto me and satisfy my soul with thy likeness, making me as holy as thou art holy, even in all manner of conversation! Hast thou given me a prospect of so great a felicity, and wilt thou not bring me unto it? Hast thou excited these desires in my soul, and wilt thou not also satisfy them? Oh, teach me to do thy will, for thou art my God; thy spirit it good, lead me into the land of uprightness. Quicken, me, O Lord, for thy name's sake, and perfect that which concerneth me. Thy mercy, O Lord, endureth forever; forsake not the work of thine own hands. Henry Scougal (1650-1678), The Life of God in the Soul of Man (a letter of spiritual counsel to a friend)


*intense happiness

No comments:

Post a Comment